PPE & Safety Gear
Every employee must ensure that they maintain their PPE in good working order and request replacement if needed.
- A hard hat must be worn whenever working around possible overhead hazards or adjacent to an active workplace. (Road maintenance, harvesting, active dryland sort, etc.)
- Outside of a vehicle in the woods = hard hat on
- Replace hard hat 5 years from date of issue.
- Replace hat liner every year when regularly used.
Eye & Face Protection
- Flip-down mesh visors or safety glasses must be used whenever there is potential for brush to strike an employee in the face.
- A pair of safety glasses should be available in your cruisers vest for additional protection against: heavy brush, fluids, fine particulates, or wildfires.
- Earmuffs are available for employees using power equipment.
- Ear plugs are available for other uses but it is encouraged to carry a pair in your first aid kit.
- SNRC’s work activities are considered to be low risk for hearing loss; therefore, annual hearing tests are not conducted.
- Employees will have access to sunscreen when performing work in areas of direct sun exposure, including silviculture surveys or continuous ‘built road’ work, etc.
- Field workers are encouraged to wear long sleeves in brush to minimize exposed skin.
- Appropriate footwear is defined as ‘substantial, solid, slip/penetration resistant soles with ankle support’.
- For driving out to the woods or working:
- Work boots, hiking boots, or rugged hiking shoes are acceptable.
- Only footwear meeting CSA standards may be used for field work.
- Caulk boots are required whenever working ‘off road’.
- Rubber caulk boots are recommended for winter work
- Snowshoes and snow boots when working in snow/frozen ground.
- Hi-Vis vests are required whenever working near industrial activities or whenever a worker’s location must be routinely checked.
- Cruisers vests must have Hi-Vis tape on them.
- Yellow and orange rain gear are acceptable colors when being worn over the cruisers vest.
- Approved cruisers vest colors: Orange, yellow, red, pink, or blue – Any newly purchased cruisers vests must be orange in order to meet ‘road-safe’ requirements
- Heavy duty gloves should be kept in your vest for use working in the field.
- Gloves should be worn whenever handling materials such as rocks or wood and/or moving, lifting, or assisting any loads greater than 10 lbs.
- Non-synthetic gloves (e.g. leather) must be worn for firefighting activities.
- High quality rain gear is required and should be carried with you every day.
- Ensure that you take the time to stitch and patch your rain gear if it becomes damaged.
- PFD’s are required to be worn by SNRC employees when travelling on or over water.
- Boats, helicopters, small planes
- Only manual inflatable PFD’s are to be worn inside aircraft to allow for underwater egress.
- Regularly check all PFD components for dirt or corrosion.
- Clean and replace as necessary.
- Ensure that the CO2 cylinder is not pierced.
- Check the manual lever to ensure that it is in the up and ready position with the green indicator pin properly installed.
- Refer to the maintenance instructions located on the ‘Maintenance & Inspection tag’ on the right hand side of the Mustang PFDs (tucked under the Velcro).
- Employees are responsible for providing their own appropriate work clothing. Clothing should satisfy the protection, insulation, movement, and comfort requirements of the task being performed.
- Packing varying combinations of work clothing should be considered when entering uncertain work conditions.
- Consult your supervisor for any uncertainty regarding the required clothing for your tasks.
- Employees must wear approved chainsaw protective clothing whenever using a chainsaw.
- Kevlar 3500 bucking pants
- Chainsaw guarded caulk boots
- Eye and ear protection
- Hard hat, etc.
Wildfire Fighting PPE
- In addition to standard PPE requirements, a Nomex clothing may be required to be worn by firefighting crew.
- Only wool or cotton clothing is to be worn under the flame resistant coveralls.
- NOTE: synthetic Hi-Vis is not to be worn.
- In addition to other required PPE, employees may be required to wear:
- Face shield
- Full or half masks with appropriate cartridges
- Refer to product information sheet for more details (MSDS/SDS).